A Treatise on Insanity

All Brad Leighton wants, is to be left alone. He just wants to go to college for Psychology, and live a relatively normal life. Unfortunately, no one else will let him.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Chapter IV: Tales from the... uh... Sepulcher?

The day began relatively normally. Burnt toast, weak coffee. I don't know why, but for some reason, my coffee is always weaker than everyone else's. Except Marvin's.

Marvin's coffee always sucks.

But, then again, from everything I've heard, Marvin's whole life sucks.


Alex announced this morning, that the rent was due tomorrow. "Okay." Marvin said. "Give me a minute." He went up to his room, and came back down with a shoebox.

When he opened it, there were checks, and little stacks of cash paper-clipped together. "Here's my pay from McDonalds... here's my pay from Lumberjack John's Clam Shack... here's my pay from Magic City Pharmacy and Surgical Supply..."
"Dude, how many jobs have you had?"
"How many days have there been?"
"...You've had a new job every day?"

He nodded. "Yes. They're all miserable people to be around. And I can't stand being around them for more than a day."

He turned back to the shoebox.

"Here's my pay from Mad Mack's Maskerade... here's my pay from Nordstroms... here's my pay from Burger King..."


"Alright, that's nice," cried Robin, loudly, "but, y'know, we have a slightly more pressing issue at hand."
"We do?"

She nodded, solemnly. "The batteries in the remote died," she declared, and then, pointing to me, "You! Go in the hall closet and get some batteries. Double-A."

I just nodded, and shrugged a bit, and headed toward the hallway.

I know I should have been worried, though, when I heard Sid blurt out, "No, now see, that was mean. You can't make him go through that." I didn't think anything of it, really. I didn't really think anything of it when I heard Robin say, "No, it's okay, I'm sure he can handle the closet."

So, I go to the closet in the hallway. There's nothing terribly abnormal about it. It's a good, solid wood door, it's painted white, and has wallpaper in the center panels to match the rest of the wallpaper in that hallway. Of course, the fact that there was a constant cool breeze coming from underneath the door didn't really mean anything to me. And wire that runs along the floor, down the hall, and into the closet really didn't seem like a big deal, either.

So, I reached for the doorknob.

Sid ran out into the hallway, screaming, "Wait! I have batteries right he--"

But it was too late. I had already gotten the door open.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OKAAAAAAAY, theeeen!!!?
    c'mon c'mon, what's gonna happen!!=P

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger celestial_elisha said…

    It's 2008 now. I suppose you already forgot about this story. But if it would make a difference, I have been a fan of this story since it started. I have greatly enjoyed it. Any author who could produce such a work would definitely be proud... especially if he/she was able to finish it. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home